Maria Andersson – new in Sweden World Rally Team in time for the team’s second World Cup start. Maria was quickly collected since the team’s regular co-driver Staffan Parmander, was forced to cancel his participation. Staffan is one of the founders of the team working for the past several years on the project World Rally resort in his native place, Jämtland Cold. A venture that requires Swede’s presence while Rally Portugal is run.
Mary was an obvious choice when the quest to find a new co-driver began – she has great World Cup routine with several seasons, great knowledge and is extremely focused on her task. We took the opportunity to ask some questions to Mary just before departure to Portugal.
In everyday life you can be found on the Swedish Automobile Sports Federation – which entitled sports manager! What does that mean?
– My position is that I work with our teams and the development of young talent. I work a lot with the national sport organization, but also on various projects within our own sports. Among the projects I’m involved in is seen Rally Championship, the effort to increase interest for Crosskart and more.
Now you are in earnest back in the rally as active again at the highest level, how does it feel to get such an offer?
– It felt really good and exciting. I’ve been a little low for a couple of years and only traveled a few small rallies, but now I really want to go a little more rally again.
What was the last World Championship race in the right seat?
– I was in Argentina last year in April when I went with another Patrick, he was with the last name Flodin. So it was last read as active in the World Championship.
We have seen you much in the World Championship earlier but also here at home, how much have you gone?
– I have gone some 25 World Championship rallies and a total of well over 200 races.
So routine is quite clear, now its directly into the action with the WRC car, what is your previous experience with it?
– I competed in Norway for two years in a WRC car and has gone some WRC rallies also in the class. So I have some experience.
The first test together with the “new” Patrick was on Friday – how it felt – Patrik’s driving?
– It felt really good, no major problems. It will be really fun to go with Patrik, we’ve known each other a long time but never raced together so it will be a new experience.
And the car?
– The car is quite amazing too. But only on Friday that it will feel real when we run tests on the Portuguese roads, that’s when you know that it is running!
Portugal is a competition you have visited before the years of your World Championship career?
– Yes I have gone Portugal’s World Championship rally before, most recently in 2007 when I was there and won Group N class. So I have good memories from there!
Source: Sweden World Rally Team website – translated by Google from Swedish, then re-translated further by me. Hope it’s good enough.